Call for Papers :
2021 Chinese Communication Society Annual Conference
June 25th (Fri) and 27th (Sun), 2021
National Chengchi University (No. 64, Section 2, Zhinan Road, Wenshan District, Taipei City)
The Indigenization and Praxis of Communication Research
Covid-19 is raging around the world. Since January 2020, the virus infected tens of millions of people worldwide, and took millions of lives. The number of victims continues to rise. Amidst the pandemic, unfamiliar scenarios that previously happened only in science fictions and thrillers films, such as blockades, quarantines, and social distancing, are now our lived realities. Meanwhile, global transportation, interaction, expression, intimacy, and other forms of communication once taken for granted by us have become distant hopes. We have witnessed massive changes since 2020. On the one hand, the pandemic accelerated “deglobalization” and reshuffled international politics and economy. Communication research can no longer follow the past imagination with the West as the sole center of academic activities. On the other hand, the “remote communication” under blockade by default has boosted the growth of social media usage and various mediated events. Nevertheless, rumors and misinformation overflow the internet. Facing the growth of both the positive and the negative influences of media, it is the responsibility of academics to understand and to analyze, through communication research, before proposing praxis to improve media and society.
In 2021, the world is awaiting relief from the pandemic, anticipating that its disappearance would “reopen” aspects of social lives. In a similar longing to “reopen” communication research, we call for the 2021 conference to open to queries and discussions that aspire to indigenization and praxis, bringing academics down-to-earth to the local community and its people.
Section 1: Communication Theory
Section 2: Journalism
Section 3: Film, Television, and Audiovisual Culture
Section 4: Public Relations, Advertising, and Marketing
Section 5: Communication Industry, Policy, and Governance
Section 6: Cultural Studies and Political Economy
Section 7: Technology, Communication, and Society
Section 8: Risk and Health Communication
Section 9: Speech Communication
Section 10: Gender Studies
Section 11: Media Literacy
Section 12: Related Sections in Communication Research
From 00:00 on February 1st, 2021, to 23:59:59 on March 1st, 2021 (Taipei Standard Time; the time of the online submission system for the annual conference applies).
1. Research papers, proposals of thematic panels or workshops and basic information, and creative concepts of image works for the annual conference should be sent through the conference’s online submission system (http://ccstaiwan.org/conference/member.asp).
2. Essays and text description files should be uploaded in PDF format. Photographies and films should be in JPEG and MP4 formats, respectively. A submission is incompleted until all files uploaded; besides, a submission of photographies/film should email to provide a download link.
3. Author information should not appear in the file of a manuscript, and an author’s name should not be used in a file name.
4. Only research papers submitted in their totality within the time limit may qualify for “paper of distinction” selection.
5. Authors should not submit manuscripts that have been published previously or simultaneous under reviewing process of other conferences or journals.
VII. Important Date
The complete list of selected works will be announced on the society’s website before April 30th, 2021, and the contributors will receive email notification.
For the review results of overseas submissions, contributors will receive email notification earlier, i.e., before March 31st, 2021.
VIII. Contact Information
Coordinator: Yao Chi-Hung (Executive Secretary of the Chinese Communication Society)
Address: No. 64, Section 2 , Zhinan Road, Wenshan District, Taipei City 11605
Chinese Communication Society, National Chengchi University